A Memory of Folk Songs and Mary Travers of Peter, Paul & Mary
So, it goes like this . . .
Thinking back to simpler times.
The year was 1970.
I had nine years of life in me.
One fine summer under an Alabama sky, the fire crackled and spit threats at us should we get to close.
Orange flamed ribbons rippled the air before us lighting our faces to a marigold hue.
Harsh shadows on our skins reflected us. We circled the dangerous energy that was so inviting.
Seven days of hiking, swimming and Girl Scout badges recede into the nightly circle of sunburned smiles and roasted marshmallow smores.
Giggly chatter of wiggling girls.
The guitar strummed…
And, quickly it silenced the chaos in our heads.
The leader sang a soft lullaby of Indian lore and magical places. Musical words that filled the spaces between cross-legged girls and developing bodies.
The guitar played on.
Words we knew… those we sang. Words we didn’t, those we’d hum.
Voices warmed and raised up with the magic of the flames to tickle the stars above us.
And, the guitar played on…
Thank you Mary Travers, and “Peter, Paul and Mary” for all of those wonderful campfire songs that I now sing with my own children… If I Had a Hammer
S. Belle Karper, Author, Speaker www.BelleKarper.com
THE WIDOW WEARS BLACK - An Edgy Memoir from an Outspoken Survivor
Check out S. Belle Karper’s – Beauties and Beasts – Blog! Baby! Blog!
Belle Karper Face Book & the popular Twitter-Belle - all on Website
Save it, Baby! Count me in!
Tags: 2009, Author, belle, Book, California, campfire, Death, Edgy, Grief, guitar, karper, Life, Los Angeles, love, lullaby, marshmallows, mary travers, Memoir, memory, music, Outspoken, peter paul and mary, peter paul mary, smores, songs, Speaker, Survivor, Writing Gems
About SheriBelleAward-Winning Author & Screenwriter
Belle Karper’s Beauties and Beasts!
Buy Belle’s Books
Buy Belle’s Books
Las Vegas Film Festival – Official Finalist
2012 Winner Best Dramedy, 2010 First Runner Up Comedy
Feed My Fish!
Subscribe to Belle Karper’s Feed!
SHARE THIS BLOG!
Searching for something?
Share this Blog!
What I Got . . .
- 1001 Things I have Done . . . So Get Off The Freakin' Couch!
- 1001 Things to Do Before I Die
- Belle Hell
- Belle's Pics
- Books & Hooks
- Daily Random Fact
- Daily WHY THE WIDOW WEARS BLACK
- Date Coach – Lighten Up!
- Digital Books Available to Buy!
- Farmville Anonymous
- Friendly Links
- Geo Cache Winky-Dinks
- Holy Crap…
- I'm Bothered
- Internet Doo-Dah
- Joke of the Day!
- Just a thought . . .
- Life Is Good Moment
- Life is Like Real Estate
- Literary News
- Make Me Smile
- Making Up With Mortella
- Middle Finger Award
- Now You See Me . . .
- Parent Traps
- PICKLED TINK Screenplay
- Pleasant Memories
- Poet ABC's
- POETIC PROSE
- Q & A "Belle-view"
- Reality Bites
- RED HOT LOVE Or… RADAR LOVE?
- Rock n Roll!
- Song of the Day
- THE WIDOW WEARS BLACK – An Edgy Memoir of an Outspoken Survivor
- Things to Ponder
- Utopian Thoughts (AKA Yeah. Right.)
- Video Momma
- What's Up, Buttercup?
- Widow 101.A
- Word Head
- Writing Gems
- You Gotta Cry!
- You Gotta Laugh
- You Tube
Share this blog!
Belle’s Cloud of Randomness
- #JonathanQuick #helmet by #DavidPerron as #LAKings #win #StanleyCup #Hockey #Playoff #Round1Game3 in #Staples #Center http://t.co/YiQCxRcWIM 10 months ago
- IN PRODUCTION! Hold tight!: bit.ly/W3ZU7K 1 year ago
- IN PRODUCTION! Hold tight! wp.me/pvxlu-HW 1 year ago
- NAMM! NAMM! NAMM! Hot Damn! — Day 1 (Pics): NAMM was an incredible success! I got tons of opportunities to talk ... bit.ly/WxrL1A 1 year ago
- NAMM! NAMM! NAMM! Hot Damn! — Day 1 (Pics) wp.me/pvxlu-HM 1 year ago